As Cellfina™ is a fairly new procedure, many plastic surgery candidates do not fully understand how it works. If you’re interested in fat and cellulite reduction, Cellfina™ and liposuction can both be of service to you. Each of these procedures can improve your body contour and appearance in different ways.
Cellfina™ is a cutting-edge treatment specifically designed and FDA-approved to eliminate cellulite. Contrary to popular belief, cellulite is not a special kind of fat but is only a condition in which fibrous bands of skin push against the existing fat. This tension causes the dimpled appearance of cellulite. With Cellfina™, a small, needle-sized device severs these fibrous bands in the skin so that it returns to its normal, smooth appearance. While liposuction targets deep fat, Cellfina™ focuses on the skin to eliminate the appearance of cellulite in as little as three days.
- What it does: eliminates cellulite
- Areas of treatment: thighs and buttocks
- Length of results: clinically proven to last up to two years
- Surgical technique: minimally invasive
- Recovery and downtime: limited downtime and only some patients experience mild tenderness or soreness
- Anesthesia: local anesthesia
- Scarring: none
Liposuction is a time-tested method of safely eliminating unwanted fat. Unlike Cellfina™, liposuction cannot eliminate the appearance of cellulite and may actually worsen its appearance. However, it can remove unwanted surplus fat from all over the body to improve body contour. Using suction technology, minor incisions, and various technical approaches, liposuction extracts unwanted fat from the body. Results are visible once any swelling subsides, and the fat removal with liposuction is permanent.
- What it does: eliminates fat
- Areas of treatment: abdomen, flanks, thighs, arms, chest, breasts, back, neck, buttocks, knees, and ankles
- Length of results: permanent
- Surgical technique: invasive surgery using one of various techniques (high-definition liposuction, tumescent liposuction, ultrasonic liposuction, or power-assisted liposuction)
- Recovery and downtime: requires up to two weeks of downtime and six weeks of avoiding strenuous exercise
- Anesthesia: may require local or general anesthesia
- Scarring: minimal and inconspicuous
If you want to eliminate troublesome fat, consider liposuction. If cellulite is your concern, you may need Cellfina™. Patients who want to get rid of both unwanted fat and cellulite may be able to undergo both liposuction and Cellfina™ treatments. For more information, request your personal consultation by calling (915) 590-7900 or by completing our online contact form today. You can also see our appointment availability here directly on our website.