Neck Lift Surgery
How Does A Neck Lift Help Enhance Appearance?
In the family of Facial Cosmetic Procedures, Neck Lifts are often ignored by most people who think of them as unnecessary. While you want more focus to be directed towards your eyes, brows and cheeks, a neck lift is an equally important cosmetic surgery done to enhance the appearance of the skin below the chin.
Also called Platysmaplasty, a neck lift is performed when the neck shows extreme signs of aging and wrinkling or forms undesirable bands and bulges within its muscles. The negative effects of gravity take a toll on the neck easily, making the skin sag and lose elasticity faster than other parts of the body.
A neck lift targets three main areas namely, the jawline, the neck and the base of the throat. Via various techniques and procedures, Dr. Agullo will remove excess skin and fat from these areas and tighten the skin to enhance its appearance. Being members of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, Dr. Agullo is fully trained and has a number of years of experience in this field.
If you feel your neck is sagging and the formation of bands is apparent, thus compromising on your appearance, consider scheduling an appointment with Dr. Agullo at Southwest Plastic Surgery for a detailed and thorough examination.
Advanced Techniques Used For a Neck Lift
Because the popularity of platysmaplasty has increased, it is one of those treatments that have seen unmatched innovation and development. All across New Mexico, Southwestern Texas and Northern Mexico, Dr. Agullo specializes in neck lift procedures using some of the most technologically advanced equipment. Some of these techniques only require tightening of the platysma muscle, while others may remove and extract excess tissue.
With Board Certification in Plastic Surgery, Dr. Agullo can be trusted fully to shape the delicate skin of the neck in a natural contour. The most widely used techniques to shape and tighten the neck are:
- Traditional Neck Lift: Using the skin-only treatment, the surgeon will make two incisions behind both ears or just below them. Depending from case to case, a third cut may also be needed just below the chin. While working on these incisions, the doctor removes excess fatty tissues to reduce the volume of neck rolls. The skin-only treatment is mostly done when a lot of excess skin also has to be removed to enhance the appearance of the neck. Once done, the skin is stretched, the platysma muscles tightened and then re-draped around the throat in a wrinkle free contour. Mesh, sutures and bandages may be used to keep the skin draped tightly and prevent the appearance of a turkey chin.
- Neck Liposuction: Neck Liposuction is the prescribed method for neck lifts if the main problem in the lower face is excessive fat. Liposuction sucks away fatty tissues to make the neck and lower chin firm.
- Combo Neck Lift and Liposuction: This variant of the neck lifting techniques is a combination of the two procedures highlighted above. Hence, excess skin and built up fatty tissue are removed together.
Regardless of the techniques used, all neck lift procedures can be completed either under general anesthesia, conscious sedation, or local anesthesia. For the former, Southwest Practice makes sure that an expert anesthesiologist is part of the team that takes care of you throughout the duration of the surgery. On the other hand, if you do not want to go under completely, conscious sedation is a popular choice in which you will be sedated partially and yet feel nothing at all!
Under such monitored care, your experience at the practice will be nothing less than perfect and as pain free as possible.
Can You Combine a Platysmaplasty With Other Procedures?
Because there are so many cosmetic procedures to enhance various parts of the face, a neck lift is usually combined with various similar treatments. For many people, getting combination cosmetic treatments in one go is ideal because it shortens recovery period and the patient does not have to go through the lengthy process of preparing for surgeries time and again. Moreover, the effects of a Platysmaplasty are pronounced when other features of the face are also enhanced.
The best way to decide which facial cosmetic procedures to opt for is by addressing the major changes you want to see on your face during the consultation sessions with Dr. Agullo. Having received special training at the Mayo Clinic, Dr. Agullo believes in providing individualized care and treatment options to all patients who walk through his doors.
Hence, keeping in mind the opinions of the doctors and of course, your own preferences, a neck lift may be combined with one of the following cosmetic treatments:
- Chin Lift
- Face lift
- Brow Lift
- Fat Injections
- Nose Job
Preparation Needed For a Platysmaplasty
Unlike other complicated cosmetic treatments, a platysmaplasty is an out-patient procedure, i.e. it only requires patients to be under monitoring for a couple of hours. Once the surgeon gives you a go ahead after checking vitals and prescribing medicines post surgery, you will be allowed to go home.
Nonetheless, just like other medical procedures, a neck lift requires patients to do some preparation before the scheduled date to minimize the chance of infection and other side effects. To provide you with ample guidelines, following are the points to keep in mind before and after you get a platysmaplasty done.
Before the surgery:
Given that a neck lift is a routine procedure for Dr. Agullo owing to his years of experience in this field, before coming in on the day of the surgery, make sure you do the following:
- Quit smoking at least two weeks prior to the scheduled date. If you are a chain smoker, the chances of a blood clot post surgery are higher for you than an average individual. Therefore, make sure you steer yourself towards a healthier lifestyle when choosing a neck lift to enhance your appearance.
- Talk to a friend or family member to drive you back and forth on that day because with a bandaged neck, you won’t be fit to sit behind the wheel.
- Store ice packs in the refrigerator and buy supplies of all the required medications prescribed by Dr. Agullo beforehand so that there is no delay in dosage after the surgery.
- Do not eat or drink anything after 12 am the previous night.
- Take a leave from work because your movement will be restricted to give the incisions ample time to heal.
- Avoid using makeup, lotions and other creams on the neck and chin.
During the surgery:
- As mentioned previously, you can choose to go under general anesthesia or conscious sedation while the neck lift is being done.
- The total time for the surgery is close to 2 hours.
- Your vitals will be strictly monitored using state of the art machinery to ensure blood flow and heart rate are normal.
After the surgery:
- Immediately after the surgery, for a few days, expect the neck muscles to feel sore and sensitive. However, this is temporary and a common sign of the healing process.
- To avoid a lot of pain, the doctors may suggest that you stay on fluids or semi-solid foods for a few days till the swelling in the throat reduces.
- The bandages around your neck have to stay in place until Dr. Agullo calls you for a follow-up appointment. Make sure the area of the wound remains dry and clean at all times.
- Limit social activities as much as possible to speed the recovery process.
- Be regular with medication prescribed to you. Most of these may be painkillers to help you pass the first few days of pain.
- Soon enough when the bandages come off and you will no longer have a turkey chin or annoying neck bands!
Are There Any Risks Associated With Neck Lift Surgery?
Dr. Agullo always makes sure his patients are aware of the risks in tow of a neck lift surgery. While situations where these risks arise are few and far apart, Dr. Agullo understands that it is every patient’s right to make an informed decision.
The potential risks stemming from a neck lift are:
- Formation of blood clots.
- Numbness in the face and neck.
- Intense itching and irritation.
- Excessive bleeding.
- Unwanted scars.
- Discoloration and skin irregularities.
- Revision surgeries for correction.
The cosmetic team at Southwest Plastic Surgery Practice makes sure that these risks are brought out in the open, however, it also ensures that the patient is comfortable enough to discuss their concerns and queries as well.
How Much Does A Neck Lift Cost?
The cost of a neck lift surgery depends on a number of factors. These include:
- The kind of anesthesia used.
- The extent of lift needed.
- The technique used for the neck lift.
These factors contribute to a lump sum cost of $3,300 – $6,000, which includes charges for the surgeon’s services, cost of anesthesia, usage of medical facilities and equipment, lab expenses, medical supplies and fee for the staff members helping out with the surgery.
While this cost is daunting for patients opting for a cosmetic lift for the first time, the feeling of a fresh and new you after the surgery is absolutely priceless.