Fat Reduction Surgery
Being overweight always has a negative impact on life. From being unable to perform some of the most basic activities to having a number of life-threatening diseases, obesity has always been a big no-no according to social and medical norms.
Development in the field of cosmetics has made weight reduction a rather easy process. For those moderately overweight individuals, who feel they are not living life to the fullest, moderate fat reduction is an ideal remedy. Not only does this process get rid of unnecessary fat in your body, it also motivates you to switch to a healthier lifestyle, one that is fulfilling and leads to better quality of life.
Fat Reduction at the Southwest Plastic Surgery Practice is a carefully conducted procedure. Drawing the line between sucking out a tad less or just a little too much fat is something only a professional can do. Hence, under the watchful eye of Dr. Agullo and Dr. Palladino, you will receive friendly advice and highly professional service.
Both surgeons at the facility have performed fat reduction for hundreds of people from Southern Texas and El Paso regions. With double degrees in General and Cosmetic Surgery, the Plastic Surgeons at Southwest have many years of practice to undertake such an extensive procedure with skill and expertise.
Are You a Good Candidate for Fat Reduction?
When does an individual opt for fat reduction surgery? With so many advantages associated with the procedure, fat reduction is more of a necessity for those who are overweight and experience difficulty in controlling their weight.
Keep in mind that fat reduction surgery is not the same as bariatric surgery, gastric banding, gastric bypass, or gastric sleeve. Fat reduction surgery is not indicated in morbidly obese patients.
Fat reduction is a suitable surgery for both men and women who:
- Would like to shed a few pounds and decrease their clothing size.
- Have been unable to lose excess weight by traditional exercises and dieting regime.
- Saw a double digit increase in weight after pregnancy and now have trouble losing it.
- Have been obese since childhood.
Keep in mind that fat reduction surgery implies that the patient will also put in the effort to diet and exercise to maintain or even improve results over time.
Fat Reduction Techniques
Fat reduction surgery has become a popular cosmetic procedure. Thousands of people who want to get rid of fat, for good, opt for fat reduction, all around the world. With promising results and hopes for better quality of life, fat reduction is no doubt, one of the most widely performed cosmetic treatments in medical circles.
Because of its popularity, constant innovation has improved and enhanced the technology available for this surgery, adding more precision and accuracy to it. At Southwest Practice, Dr. Agullo and Dr. Palladino use a number of techniques to reduce fat in an overly overweight individual. The choice of technique depends on the analysis of the medical history, extent of reduction needed and the way a patient responds to anesthesia and medicine in general.
Each of the techniques highlighted below aim to shape and contour the targeted area in a patient that has too much fat. With the right tools and skill, Dr. Agullo and Dr. Palladino give each of their patients the figure and health they desire.
Some of the most popular fat reduction techniques are:
Circumferential Abdominoplasty is also known as the Lower Body Lift. Such a surgery reduces fat in the lower part of the body, including the buttocks, thighs, hips etc. this fat reduction surgery also smoothes out creases in these body parts to tighten and enhance their appearance. In a Circumferential Abdominoplasty, incision spots are decided prior to the surgery as seen fit by your surgeon.
A tummy tuck targets the stomach and midsection of the body to reduce fat and make it taut. It gets rid of tires and muffin-tops that give the body an irregular and disproportionate structure.
In case a patient is morbidly obese, the surgeon will combine both above processes to vacuum out fat and tighten the areas that feel saggy. A special tool is used that sucks out fat precisely from body parts pinpointed by the surgeon.
Liposuction is considered a comparatively less invasive procedure.
Preparation for Fat Reduction Surgery
The prospective of going through moderate fat reduction is daunting for some people because it introduces a drastic change in life. However, getting excess and unnecessary fat out of the way will let you move towards a life that you have always wanted.
Thus, while you experience a combination of nerves plus excitement, remember that a fat reduction procedure has to be prepared for. A number of things have to be kept in mind before the day of the surgery. Following is a detailed guide provided by the surgeons at the Practice to help you prepare for a fat reduction:
Preparation Before the Fat Reduction Surgery
Pre-surgery preparation is perhaps the most important step in the preparation guide because it determines how successful the actual procedure will be. These, and all other guidelines, will be provided to you by Dr. Agullo and Dr. Palladino during the consultation sessions at the Practice. It is imperative that you attend these sessions and openly discuss all reservations and queries with the doctors beforehand.
Some of the most important points to remember are:
- If you are a chain smoker, mentally prepare yourself to quit smoking at least 2 weeks before the procedure. Smoking is highly hazardous for health and can lead to complications like clotting of blood during surgery.
- Do not eat or drink anything after 12 am, the previous night.
- Take enough time off from work so you can get ample rest. The body needs a lot of recovery time after a typical fat reduction surgery. You may require 2-4 weeks for recovery.
- Store up towels, ice packs, aspirin and other medical supplies. Also, purchase prescription medication beforehand if possible.
- Ask a friend or family member to drive you back and forth on the day of the surgery because you will not be allowed to drive for at least a week or so after the surgery.
- Make sure your wardrobe has comfortable and loose cotton clothing. This is a must have after surgery.
- A thorough medical history and physical exam is imperative. You will undergo preoperative workup labs in preparation. The doctors may recommend clearance from your primary care physician to undergo such treatments.
Preparation During the Fat Reduction Surgery
- A moderate fat reduction procedure usually takes somewhere between 3 to 6 hours in the operating room. Because such a surgery is a huge change for the body, the process has to be completed with utmost care. Dr. Agullo and Dr. Palladino will conduct an initial analysis before the surgery to determine how well the body can take this shock.
- General Anesthesia is the best option because fat reduction is quite a lengthy process.
- Under normal circumstances you will be asked to stay a night at the hospital so that your progress can be monitored closely.
- A combination of techniques discussed previously will be used to make sure the surgery gives you the result you hope for.
- A typical Moderate Fat Reduction Surgery starts from the back, shapes the buttocks and thighs and then moves to the front i.e. abdomen and stomach.
- The amount of liposuction done per session is usually limited in order to avoid complications.
Preparation After the Fat Reduction Surgery
- Right after the surgery, till at least a week or two, you will feel swollen and sore all over the body. This is temporary and will soon subside with proper care.
- While you should get maximum rest, do get up regularly and walk around to ensure proper flow of blood and avoid stiffness in the arms and legs.
- Results of fat reduction become obvious in 4 to 6 weeks; however, it can take up to 6 months for the body to heal completely; therefore, be patient!
Are there any Risks Associated with Fat Reduction?
Getting a board certified Plastic Surgeon to do the fat reduction minimizes risks to a great extent. Not only do Dr. Agullo and Dr. Palladino adhere to norms laid down by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, they also take on board certified anesthesiologists, who can be fully trusted with the sedatives.
Despite these pluses, Southwest prides itself for informing patients about every aspect of a fat reduction surgery. From the benefits to the risks, a patient has the right to know it all before concluding a consultation session.
Some of the most common risks associated with Fat Reduction are:
- Complications and reactions from the anesthesia used.
- Excessive bleeding or hemorrhages.
- Improper healing of scars.
- Permanent scarring.
- Blood clots or strokes.
- Infection or phenomena.
- Need for revision surgeries to fix complications.
How Much Does Fat Reduction Surgery Cost?
No doubt, the cost of a Moderate Fat Loss Surgery is an important determinant in getting this procedure done. During the consultation sessions with Dr. Agullo and Dr. Palladino, when all other factors have been accounted for, you will be given a quote of the expenses related to the surgery.
In the El Paso, Las Cruces, Chihuahua, Alamogordo and Texas region, a fat reduction surgery can cost somewhere between $15,500 – $35,000. Within this cost, the fee of a board certified surgeon, cost of anesthesia and other medical supplies is incorporated. If your surgeon recommends getting this surgery done at a hospital, which is almost always the case, the additional charges levied by the hospital will be included in this amount.