Constant innovations in the field of cosmetics have rendered possible technologies that can help surgeons perform extremely intricate and detailed procedures. One such procedure that has become quite popular under the umbrella of cosmetic treatments is Eyelid Surgery.
The intricate and delicate nature of the eyes makes an eyelid surgery daunting. However, trained cosmetic surgeons who are highly qualified to perform cosmetic surgeries have the required knowhow needed to make an eyelid surgery as safe and pain free as possible. At Southwest Plastic Surgery Practice, this motto is followed relentlessly for patients coming from regions across New Mexico and Southern Texas.
Dr. Agullo and Dr. Palladino have years of experience in this field and have performed various eyelid procedures over the years. Not only will they guide you through the process step by step, the surgeons will also keep in mind many factors that make this treatment all the more important for you.
How Can An Eyelid Surgery Help?
The need for eye lift is different for both sexes. While a female’s eyes are delicate and graceful, a man’s eyes are rugged and have sharp edges. Aging and the effects of gravity can have an adverse effect on these features. Droopy eyelids, bags under-eyes and crow’s feet can take away the shine and luster from your eyes, leaving them dull and haggard looking.
Eyelid surgery or Blepharoplasty, is the ideal way to tighten the skin around the eyes, making them the standout feature of your personality. A Blepharoplasty gives a young look to your eyes and the surrounding area by easing away bulges and restoring elasticity in the eyelid tissue. Lack of elasticity is a major problem with women because it hampers the proper application of eye makeup and adds so many years to their actual age!
A Blepharoplasty is effective against:
- Excessive wrinkling near eyes.
- Crow’s feet.
- Misshapen eyebrows.
- Dark Circles under the eyes.
- Frowning brow lines.
- Upper and lower eyelid creases.
Hence, a simple eye lift procedure can help restore the shape of your eyelid and the area around it, provided you contact a qualified cosmetic surgeon. At Southwest, Dr. Palladino and Dr. Agullo have been trained at the Mayo Clinic and hold prestigious degrees in the field. Being members of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, you can be assured of the most professional yet friendly treatment at the hands of the surgeons at Southwest.
Getting The Best Results With Eyelid Surgery
While an eye lift is a complete process in itself, it can also be combined with other cosmetic procedures that enhance features all over the face. Depending on various factors like your age, amount of sagging, extent of dullness around the eyes and the face structure in general, Dr. Agullo and Dr. Palladino will suggest whether an eyelid surgery alone will be enough or not.
Some cosmetic procedures that can be used in combination are:
- Facelift surgery
- Brow lift
- Neck Lift
- Fat Injections
- Lip Augmentation
- Protein Rich Plasma Injections
As a general trend, many women prefer to opt for multiple procedures at the same time as an eyelid surgery. This helps them make the most of the time, energy and money spent on cosmetic procedures; not to mention, entails a shorter and more manageable healing time.
Eyelift Techniques Used At Southwest
Because eye lift surgeries have been performed for many years now, constant development in the technologies used and processes incorporated are commonplace. These developments have given birth to different techniques that can be used to lift droopy eyelids back in shape and make them appear distinguished.
In itself, a blepharoplasty is a straightforward procedure that takes no more than two hours to complete. With the addition of combination surgeries, however, this duration is extended. During the consultation with Dr. Agullo and Dr. Palladino, you will be given comprehensive background information about which technique the surgeon will use on you for corrective measures and to reduce signs of aging on your face.
All the below mentioned techniques begin with the upper eyelid. The surgeon first tightens the skin in this area and then works his way to the lower lid. Excess skin and fat storage in both parts are first removed and the skin is then draped smoothly. Trusting Award Winning cosmetic surgeons like those at Southwest yields results with minimal scarring because any incisions made are along the natural crease of the lids.
Let’s take a look at some techniques used in an eye lift.
- Transcutaneous Upper/Lower Eyelid Blepharoplasty: The Transcutaneous technique literally means ‘through the skin’ and is often used by surgeons performing an eye lift. For this procedure, incisions are made in the natural creases of the eyes through which excess skin and fat are removed. The doctor will try his best to avoid any damage to the muscles and tissue under the skin; however, he may reposition some muscle and tissue to give a proper shape to the eye contour. Once the placements are done, the doctor will put sutures over the incisions that stay for up to 6 days.
- Laser resurfacing: Laser is a non-invasive way to smooth out wrinkles and fine lines around the eye contour. The laser beam softens skin, giving it elasticity and also does away with deep creases.
Often, the above mentioned procedures are combined and performed one after the other. While the Transcutaneous Upper/Lower Eyelid Blepharoplasty is done on the entire eyelid to give the eye contour shape, the laser blast and Protein Rich Plasma Injections add a finishing touch to the lift.
Adequate Preparation: The Key To An Effective Blepharoplasty
Preparation is a must before the day of your surgery. Because an eye lift is an intricate process, everything needs to be just about perfect for the results to be as you desire.
Dr. Agullo and Dr. Palladino go the extra mile to help you prepare for the eye lift surgery in the best possible way. Below are some of the main points to keep in mind:
- If you are a heavy smoker, take your last puff; as the scheduled time for the surgery closes in, you will have to quit smoking. Smoking and drinking lead to unacceptably high chances of blood clots, which are a major risk in eye lift surgery.
- Stay clear of UV rays for at least 2 weeks before the surgery and 2 months after it. Because excessive and strong UV rays can harm the eye and the surrounding areas, it is best to avoid direct exposure. If you must spend time outdoors or while commuting, use a pair of sunglasses or apply sunblock for protection.
- Arrange for a friend or family member to assist you in driving back and forth from the clinic on the day the procedure is scheduled.
- Store up ice packs and medication at home before the surgery.
- Do not apply lotions or eye creams prior to the procedure.
- Always stay on an empty stomach after 12 am the previous night for any kind of cosmetic procedure.
Recovering From A Blepharoplasty
- The first sign of recovery after an eyelid surgery is dry eyes. However, there is nothing to worry about when you experience this side effect. Regular dampening with ice packs and use of the prescribed drops will help soothe the eyes.
- As mentioned previously, avoid UV exposure after the surgery. With sutures in place, you must try to place as little strain on the eyes as possible.
- Soreness and sensitivity around the eyes is normal for a few weeks. However, make sure you report any unusually prolonged spells of irritation or itching.
- Needless to say, the more rest you give your eyes, the better and quicker they will heal.
- Lastly, during the recovery period, do not miss a follow up appointment with Dr. Agullo and Dr. Palladino, whenever it is scheduled.
Are There Any Risks Associated With Eyelid Surgeries?
Risks are part and parcel of any medical procedure. However, having board certified doctors who are members of the American Society of Cosmetic Surgeons is a definite plus. Together with the care and comfort provided by Dr. Agullo and Dr. Palladino, Southwest Practice prides itself for equipping patients with all kinds of information regarding an eyelid surgery so they can make an informed decision.
The complications that may arise as a result of an eyelid surgery are:
- Swelling of the eyes and surrounding areas
- Dry and irritated eyes
With any prolonged side effects or healing reactions, make sure you contact your doctor immediately.
How Much Does An Eyelid Surgery Cost?
A skillfully performed eyelid surgery lasts for at least 5 to 7 years, or in most cases, forever. Therefore, money spent on this surgery is nothing less than an investment in your physical self. A typical eyelid surgery in the El Paso area costs around $2,500 – $3,800, depending on the number of combination procedures selected and the extent of lift needed.
This cost includes the expenses incurred from using a fully certified medical facility, services by a trained cosmetic surgeon, cost of medical supplies, fees of follow up sessions and the cost tied to hiring a reliable anesthesiologist.
Is the cost of an eye lift covered by insurance? In most cases, it is not. However, if such a surgery is deemed medically necessary, say in the aftermath of an accident, an insurer may cover this expense fully or partially. Therefore, check with your insurance company beforehand for the details of the coverage.